Tuesday, February 5, 2013

LENTIL SOUP RECIPE

I've hinted at this before but I'm going to flat out say it - I'm a horrible cook... and I'm not just saying to be coy. I come from a background of excellent Italian cooks, and the talent just happened to skip me. So I'm on an adventure that is comparable to hiking the Andes (at least for me), finding recipes that are easy yet healthy. Here we go.

This weekend I cooked my mom's lentil soup recipe that I LOVE. It's perfect for cold nights and days when you're not feeling too well- I've completely ditched the sodium filled, store bought soups. It's really tasty and perfect to make in bulk and freeze. Bare with me on my instructions, I'm new at this!


WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 16 oz. bag of Red Split Lentils (Can use brown lentils as well - this is what I used)
- 2 Large Organic Carrots
- 2 Large Organic Celery Sticks
- A can of Tomato Sauce
- You can also add onion, and any other vegetables to the mix.

RECIPE:
- Chop up your Carrots, Celery, and Garlic.
- Add 5 tablespoons of Olive Oil in a large pot, and heat it on the stove. 
- Add the Garlic in. Stir it until it is soft, but don't let it get brown. Remove it off the stove.
- Fill the pot 3/4's the way with water and add your lentils.
- Put the pot on high until it boils.
- Add your chopped up Carrots, Celery, and can of Tomato Sauce into the pot (This is also when you would add your onion, or any other vegetable you want to use). 
- Lower the heat to low/medium and cover the pot. 
- Cook for 45 minutes. Add pepper. Enjoy!


Happy Cooking!

xx Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...