Monday, February 25, 2013

JILL'S OSCARS RED CARPET RECAP

A year of watching the biggest films, pre-gaming with other award shows, and trying to predict who will have the next twitter handle named after their red carpet blunder (yes, this exists), it all came to down last night. The big one. The Oscars.

Sure, I could rant about how bitter I am that The Master was snubbed a Cinematography nomination and my boy Leonardo Dicaprio will always be snubbed in general, that's not what you're here for, right? On to the fashion!
Best

Kerry Washington in Miu Miu: Love the color of the dress and the top detail. Kerry balanced out the fun, girly design with simple makeup and sleek hair, keeping it pretty but still mature.

Anne Hathaway in Prada: The structure and color of this gown against her pale skin makes my heart melt. I could have done without the tied back, but that back jewelry makes up for everything, including the soccer mom hair. Do I even need to rave about the makeup?

Nicole Kidman in L'Wren Scott: Nicole sparkled down the carpet and I loved the mix of gold and black. I'm not the biggest fan of the swirl detail at the bottom, but her loose curls and low bun complimented the glitz perfectly.

Jennifer Lawrence in Dior Haute Couture: Yes, it's another strapless gown, but I love that Jennifer brought the drama, while not going too overboard by keeping the pattern and color simple. Plus anybody that adds back jewelry instantly gains fashion brownie points. 

Worst

Zoe Saldana in Alexis Mabille: There's just too much going on here. The top is pretty until you hit the out-of-place belt (is that a bow attached?), and then travel down to the busy bottom. If this dress stuck with one feature, things would have looked a lot better.

Kristen Stewart in Reem Acra: If Kristen is a vampire, shampoo MUST be her sunlight, because this girl refuses to wash her hair. I think this gown has potential, but the ill-fitted top and bottom detail have things looking way too messy. More refined styling would be better.

Amanda Seyfried in Alexander McQueen: It's not so much the gown that I have an issue with, but what it looks like on Amanda. Between the color washing her out and the hair aging her, the look just feels so... blah. It makes me want to take a long nap.

Jennifer Aniston in Valentino: The dress isn't bad at all, but if you're going to wear red on the red carpet, PLEASE make it interesting. To make things even more boring, the last time Jennifer had a different hairstyle, Angelina Jolie was making out with her brother. I did dig the jewelry and her happy attitude.

Others

Jessica Chastain in custom Armani Prive: She looked stunning and the dress is beautiful, but I can't help but want more from her. I know she could pull off a more interesting/edgy look. However, this is another step in the right direction after her past tragic choices.

Naomi Watts in Armani Prive: This dress makes me want to call my psychiatrist because I have NO idea how I feel. The scoop back and cap sleeve won me over until I started getting sweet-sixteen vibes from the front cutout... but I don't know if that's a bad thing? 

Charlize Theron in Dior: Charlize could wear a plastic bag and I'd still be captivated by her beauty. It's not that her gown wasn't stunning, it's just that I had a little deja vu. Because Anne did it. At the Golden Globes. In Chanel (see here). 

Giuliana Rancic in Jean Fares Couture: Giuliana's twist on the classic black dress wasn't what caught my eye, it was her amazing new hairdo sans extensions that had me clapping (yep, I really did). Giuliana is too beautiful, inside and out, to hide behind all that hair. Love the au-natural look!

Stacy Keibler in Naeem Khan: This studded, silver frock was one of my favorites. I loved that Stacy's hair is pulled up to relieve the unique back, but I didn't like the faux bob.

Who were your favorites and not so favorites of the night?

xx Jill

2 comments:

  1. Kerry Washington was also my pick for best dressed. Loved the color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree about the back of Naomi Watts' gown. It doesn't match the style of the front. It's like 2 different dresses.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...