Thursday, January 3, 2013

CHRISTMAS IN FLORIDA

We miss Christmas, so we've decided to relive it with our readers. We both went to Florida for the holidays - Jess went to Central Florida to her sister's house and Jill went back home to South Florida. Palm trees and sunny skies are our version of a white Christmas and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Jess's Christmas

Pack 22 people speaking three different languages, and that's a Christmas with my family. I don't get the chance to see my family too often and some of my family members are from Venezuela and only come once a year, so it's a very dear time for all of us. It was also the first Christmas with my boyfriend, so it was extra special! I am an aunt to two adorable twinsies, so my camera was stuck on them the whole time. They're just so freaking cute! Family, laughter, food (and wine) is the perfect recipe for us.

My Christmas tree in Chicago.

My gift wrapping this year.

My nephew, just like Aunt Jess.

Best Christmas gift ever?

And that was only one side of the tree.

Traditional Portuguese food.

Little things in life.

All 22 of us!

Jill's Christmas

Merry (very late) Christmas! I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays as much as I did. I flew home to Florida for 10 days, where I enjoyed time spent with my family and friends in 75 degree weather. I have to keep reminding myself how much I love Chicago when I see the cold temperatures I come back to!

I wanted to share some pictures of my Christmas, specifically the amazing food my parents made for our guests. Coming from a traditional Italian family, you can imagine how delicious every dish is. The cooking gene skipped me (Seriously... I once put pizza upside down in the oven, but that's another story) so you better believe I brought back leftovers to Chicago.


We have SO many Christmas decorations that it's impossible to put them all out. A lot of them have been in our family for awhile or were handmade by my brother and I when we were children (he's the artist in the family, so don't judge my skills too hard). They bring back so many memories! My favorite piece of the house they decorate is their turn of the century piano that came from a Brothel in San Francisco. Besides it being a conversation piece alone, it looks extra festive around this time of year.

Details of our tree.

One of my favorite ornaments.

My brother's cat Twiggy, waiting to attack the tree.

My parents' piano with decorations we made as children.

Centerpiece.

My two favorite parts of a celebratory meal are the appetizers and desserts. I could honestly have just that and be perfectly content, so I wanted to show off some of my favorite dishes from both.

Breaded clams.

Antipasto.

Provolone Cheese, Sicilian Green Olives with Garlic and Oil, Artichoke Hearts, and Roasted Red Peppers. Topped off with Dressing made of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Chopped up Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Basil, and Sugar. 

Sliced Tomato, Water Mozzarella Cheese, drizzled with the Antipasto dressing.

Mini Pina Colada's with mini straws.

After filling up on appetizers and having a main course of Baked Ziti, Italian Sausage and Peppers, Salad, and much more, we needed a little time to wind down before round three.

"Vera's Tarts": Cream Cheese dough, Brown Sugar andWalnut center, topped off with Powdered Sugar.

"Mary B's 'S' Cookies": My Grandmother's recipe for butter cookies.

Doughnuts.

Cookies.

Strawberry Shortcake.

Empty wine glasses, of course.

Intense Jenga game!

My favorite tradition in my house comes on Christmas morning, when my mom makes homemade waffles after we open our gifts. I have a heavy hand when it comes to the powdered sugar, if you couldn't tell.

Waffles.

Waffles.

And lastly, one of my favorite gifts I gave this holiday was courtesy of Etsy. My family is obsessed with The Walking Dead and since my mom loves to garden, I knew these Zombie Gnomes would be the perfect gift. While we're on the topic of favorites, this should make me the favorite child, right? ;)

You can shop the Gnomes here and here!

Time to restart the Christmas countdown!

We hope you're keeping warm.

xx Jess & Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...