Monday, January 14, 2013

JILL'S GOLDEN GLOBES RECAP

First let me say that Claire Danes should have came with a disclaimer last night that no woman bounces back that quickly after having a baby, and she in fact is an alien (as if her incredible acting wasn't proof enough). Her stylist wronged her by dressing her altogether, because she should have shown up naked. 

And on to the gowns...

The Golden Globes is the official pre-game to the big party, AKA the Oscars (my Holiday). There were many looks I enjoyed last night, and some that I wondered if there was a mirror present when they were getting ready. Here are some of my favorites, not-so favorites, and ones who almost got it right. 

Best

Anne Hathaway in Chanel: It's Anne Hathaway. And it's Chanel. Did you see Les Mis? Have you ever seen a Chanel show? No explanation needed. Take notes, future nominees. 


Julianne Moore in Tom Ford: Proof that age is nothing but a number, Julianne is showing these young actresses how it's done. She is such a class act, and does it in one of the hottest color trends right now.


Kate Hudson in Alexander McQueen: Kate is GLOWING in this dress. Literally. The neckline and belting detail adds that spark a black dress needs to stand out. Plus I'm so over strapless gowns.


Emily Blunt in Michael Kors: It's not the most riveting dress I've seen, but she looks stunning, and I love the pop of color she added with the earrings. She could have gone with a brighter clutch but her well done bun makes it up for me.


Kerry Washington in Miu Miu: People seem to either love or hate this look, and I happen to love it. The simple makeup with a pop of purple eyeshadow, and sleek hair, really make the gorgeous details of the dress shine. This girl can really pull off a blunt bang.


Worst

Giuliana Rancic in Celia Krithariot: Love Giuliana and lately she's been nailing it, but this is exactly what happens when a dress wears the girl. It doesn't fit who she is and would have worked much better on an edgier woman. Rooney Mara's pale skin and dark hair would have done it more justice.


Halle Berry in Versace: Because even pulling her best Jolie leg didn't work.


Julianne Hough in Monique Lhuillier: I actually like the dress and the refreshingly unique detail, but think it would work better on someone younger and taller. Halee Steinfeld would be a better fit for the dress, but hopefully she wouldn't wear the jewelry made of insects (ew).


Jessica Chastain in Givenchy Haute Couture: A gorgeous girl who can just never get it right. The fit of the dress is all wrong (I want to PULL that halter up) and the hair ages her. Jessica, you deserve so much more. You and your stylist should see other people.


 What Could Have Been

Taylor Swift in Donna Karan Atelier: She nailed it with the dress, color, and earrings. I appreciate her FINALLY stepping out of her glittery, sparkle box and dressing more mature, but she took it too far with the hair. Baby steps?


Lucy Liu in Carolina Herrera: Love/Hate is the definition of my feelings towards this dress, although it is so good to see a bold print on the carpet. Lucy Liu did look darling in this frock, but things would have gone better if her hair was more refined.


Jennifer Lawrence in Dior Haute Couture: Silver Linings Playbook was SO good and I was excited to see her win, but her chest was giving me serious Madonna torpedo vibes. If this was toned down a bit, I could really appreciate how perfect her hair was.


And can we all give an applause to Tina Fey and Amy Poehler? Hosts that definitely delivered the laughs, and proved that women can do it better. Sorry Ricky Gervais!

Who were some of your favorites?

xx Jill


Photos via Getty Images.

3 comments:

  1. Great picks Jill! I absolutely loved Kerry Washington's dress last night. Such a great color and exquisite detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree, I'm shocked so many people disliked it.

      Delete
    2. Kate Hudson's McQueen was definitely my favorite! Not only is she absolutely gorgeous but her seemingly effortless ability to exude the utmost confidence makes her appear pretty much beautiful in anything!

      I know EXACTLY what you mean about Jessica Chastain! Her dress was so ill-fitting! I wanted to pull it up, too - or even better, send her in for an altercation mid-show! I don't know who is telling her (and other badly dressed celebs) that the dress looks fabulous on her, but whoever it is needs to be fired as a stylist or friend!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...