Monday, January 28, 2013

SAG AWARDS 2013 - JILL'S RECAP

Last night were the 19th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards, and like most bloggers, I paid much more attention to what walked down the red carpet rather than who. Take a look at some of my favorites, thoughts, and who made me yell HALLELUJAH.

Best

Anne Hathaway in Giambattista Valli Haute Couture: Anne has been killing the red carpet's lately and her style is truly her own. I love the unique twist on this classic black dress that is complemented well with Anne's simple makeup. 


Kerry Washington in Rodarte: I am so glad that Kerry Washington is getting the recognition she deserves, and not just in the fashion department. The detail on this gown is gorgeous and looks great from every angle. 

      

January Jones in Prabal Gurung: This look seems to be hit or miss with people, but it was like a cup of strong coffee to wake me up from all the strapless snooze-fests.. and I loved it. The makeup definitely could of used some tweaking, but whether or not you like the look, you have to agree that she always brings something new to the red carpet.


Kiernan Shipka in Oscar de la Renta: It's a little weird putting a 13-year-old in Oscar de la Renta on my best dressed list, but then again, it's a 13-year-old in Oscar de la Renta.. she deserves it. Kiernan always looks age appropriate while still giving fashion inspiration to grown women (she is the definition of a little lady- see here). Gone are the days where tweens in Limited Too are considered fashionable. Did I just age myself?


Julianne Moore in Chanel: Although I could see an actress like Michelle Williams wearing this design, I don't think anyone could have pulled this gown off as good as Julianne. The cut could have been less intense, but I thought she looked beautiful.


Worst

 Julianna Marguiles in Chado Ralph Rucci: No excuse for this, especially when she looked like this the night prior at the Producers Guild Awards. What's with that string coming down the side? As if things couldn't get worse, I looked down at her shoes. Let's move on.


Ariel Winter in Alex Perry: I appreciate her trying to be age appropriate, but she took it way too far. For starters, chopping off those sleeves would have made the gown ten times better, although the applique flowers are unfortunately on the top of the dress too. With her long hair down, there's just too much going on on top, making her look frumpy.


Freido Pinto in Roland Mouret: The color of this dress is gorgeous, but everything else falls flat. Those bows? That hair? Let's wake up in the morning and pretend this never happened. 


Rose Byrne in Valentino: I always give an applause for any actress who wears a print down the runway, and this one is no exception, but that's the only part of this look I liked. This silhouette is just not working. And besides missing her blunt bangs, her hair looks way too flat, dragging down her face.


Others

Claire Danes in Givenchy: We saw her AMAZING body at the Golden Globes this year, so there's no reason why she should be looking wider than she is. The fit of this gown needs a little tweaking, but I could look past that.. in fact, I have no choice, since all my attention is on that tragic makeup. It's as if her makeup artist purposely used the worst eyeshadow and lip color she could find, and Claire didn't bother to look in the mirror. 



 Jennifer Lawrence in Christian Dior and Amanda Seyfried in Zac Posen: Many people have been commenting about the similarities between both looks- Strapless, dark blue gowns with side-part waves. I seem to be in the minority when I say I prefer Jennifer's look over Amanda's, and I favored Jennifer's choice of necklace, and thought Amanda's statement piece didn't fit with her ensemble. Although both girls looked gorgeous, I thought Jennifer looked simply classic (others may call it too plain, but tomato tom-ah-to).



Lea Michele in Valentino: The bottom of the dress was interesting, as well as the color, and it looked much better in movement than in pictures. Still, the fit isn't working, and she's giving off some serious armpit muffin top (has someone coined a term for that yet?). I loved her subtle ombre hair in the past, but this drastic color is just too much. 


And last but not least, can I get a HALLELUJAH for Jessica Chastain's look? It wasn't anything spectacular, but a huge step in the right direction from this Golden Globes tragedy. Let's all say a prayer that she doesn't go backwards for the Oscars.

Who were your favorites?

xx Jill

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree that Jennifer Lawrence wins the navy dress showdown over Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First person to agree on this! You got good taste ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...