Tuesday, August 26, 2014

JILL'S EMMYS 2014 RED CARPET RECAP

I'm seeing red. And not because I'm completely pissed off at this rainy weather (which I am), but after watching many red frocks walk down the 66th Annual Emmys red carpet. I did trade in a night of sushi with Jess and Soraya for the red carpet coverage, so I didn't get to catch many of these gowns in motion, but for some of these (cough Lena cough) that might be a good thing.

Here are my favorites and not-so favorites.

Best Dressed

Claire Danes in Givenchy: If you're going to do red on the red carpet, you better do it (you know what I mean?) The cut out detail, with lace overlay, and detailed neckline take this red dress to the next level. I also love that her hair is soft, paired with her bold lip. 


Sarah Paulson in Armani Prive: Am I supposed to like this? I don't think so, but I find it so darling. Plus it adds an interesting twist to a black strapless dress. It's volume without being too overwhelming, and the slick, straight hair keeps the look from being too cutesy. 


Camila Alves in Zuhair Murad: Having Mathew on your arm can always help your amplify your look, but Camila didn't need any help last night. Mixing a peek-a-boo pattern with long sleeves and a conservative neckline keeps things balanced. I also thought the pattern was soft and delicate against her skin. 


Lizzy Caplan in Donna Karan Atelier: Sure, it's black and white, but doesn't she look like a classic beauty? Regina George, eat your words.


January Jones in Prabal Gurung: If this was on anyone else, I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much. January's messy bangs and shoes add an edge to this frock, and I really like the texture of the gown. Again, if you're going to do red... make it interesting.


Worst Dressed

Lena Dunham in Giambattista Valli: Every news outlet should apologize for publishing the designer of this gown, because I imagine they don't want to claim this. And her hair stylist should enroll in the witness protection program and start over. I'm kidding, it's not that bad. Okay maybe it is.

She's not really trying, right?



Betsey Brandt in Alice + Olivia: This is a great example of how the wrong styling can negatively affect a dress. I actually like the print of this dress, but hate it paired with the black clutch and black, closed-toed heels. I am not one to think that someone is too old to wear something, but Betsey's hair is styled too maturely for such a bright dress. I also think the hemline should either be longer or a little shorter, since this length makes her stature look short. 



Taissa Farmiga in Honor: Is this a lace skirt on top of a short dress? I don't get it.


Laura Prepon in Gustavo Cadile: There is a green monster eating Laura. Talk about the dress wearing the girl.


Amanda Peet in Giambattista Valli: I would have totally loved this dress in a time in my life where I also loved butterfly clips and glitter eyeshadow.


Who were your favorites and not-so favorites?

x Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...