Tuesday, March 25, 2014

DIY CHALKBOARD

On my very large "DIY to do list" was to make my own chalkboard, and after moving into my new condo and finding the perfect wall where it would get the most use, I decided to go for it. Since this was my first larger DIY project, I knew my dad, who is insanely crafty, was the perfect person to team up with!

Here's what I used:
- Piece of wood (cut bigger than the frame, since I'm gluing the frame to the wood)
- Old frame
- Sander (optional)
- Paint primer
- Semi-gloss paint
- Chalkboard paint
- Heavy duty adhesive

I knew I wanted a more ornate frame, so we went to a local thrift store and found this old picture for under $15.


- Lightly sand the piece of wood that will be used as the chalkboard. I didn't want a perfectly smooth surface and loved the wood's imperfections, so I didn't sand it too much. You can also use an easier option since chalkboard paint works on various surfaces - even glass!
- Clean off your wood and paint it with a primer.
- While waiting for the primer to dry, thoroughly clean your frame to remove any dust or dirt. Then paint your frame the desired color, like this awesome yellow I chose. Be sure to wait a few hours between each coat. If you're impatient like me, this could be a challenge, but it's worth it in the end.
- Once the primer on the wood is dry, paint it with the chalkboard paint. There are two options, black and green, and I chose black.
- Make sure all your materials are dry (all the waiting in a DIY project is the worst part) and use the adhesive to glue the wood to the frame. I let it dry for double the amount of time, just to be sure.







The end result? Voila!





I love the look of old pieces updated with modern colors, so all the little imperfections and wear on the frame attracted me to it.  As you can tell by the chalk marks, it's already gotten a lot of use.

There will definitely be more father-daughter projects in the future! And lucky for my fiancé, more I love you notes demanding chore reminders on my new chalkboard.

Have you tried a DIY chalkboard?

x Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...